Friday, December 7, 2012

To Blog or Not to Blog…That Is the Question!

THEN:

I originally started blogging because I was adjusting to being home all day with a busy special needs toddler, a preschooler, a kindergartener and 3 elementary-age school kids, making someone else’s house my new home, and fusing 2 families’ lifestyles, routines, and traditions into one.   Life became overwhelming very quickly.  I needed a reason to look for the good in every day, even if it was a small moment that made me smile, or venting and recording the realities of daily life.  I know it could have been worse, but daily life was hard!  My health took a downward turn, I was stressed to the max, my body was not functioning well or absorbing nutrients, my hormones and adrenal glands were a mess, and blogging seemed to be my only outlet and contact to the outside world.  It was also a way to not only look for the good, but kept my friends and family posted on what we were up to because I felt like I moved away from all my family and friends, quit my job and had no time to make new friends because of the new load I took upon my shoulders.

NOW:

I am not sure I have a “need” to blog anymore.  3+ years later, the kids have grown up a lot.  Instead of wearing myself to the point of exhaustion doing everything for everyone, the kids have been taught to be a great help around the house and everyone pitches in.   They are in school all day (a 4th year of 2 1/2 hour staggered special needs preschool and kindergarten schedules would have done me in).  I have adjusted to the amount work (ie:  cooking, mountains of laundry, shopping, etc.) that goes into a large household and have it down to a science for me.   We have established house rules, routines and have “our” way of running our family, not “mine” or “his” way. 

I have 2 months to go with my 6 month treatment of getting my endocrine system back on track.  I found out I had a gluten and egg intolerance which were contributing to making me feel sick and sluggish.  As an awesome side effect, I have lost 24 pounds since August 1st, and have 80-90% of my energy back.  I feel better than I have in years.  I smile again, I enjoy life.  The kids are at a fun age.  I can go anywhere or do anything with them.  Cam is almost 13 and able to hold down the fort if Justin and I want to go to a late movie or dinner.  I have made time to see my friends, and Justin and I make time for each other.  We enjoy hanging out with our friends that we have made together, not “his” friends or “my” friends.  We have a beautiful new home in our own part of the neighborhood that know us as “Justin and Kari Bancroft”.  Our home is functional, comfortable and fun and meets our families needs (there are a few “wants” that it meets too)!

I couldn’t ask for a better family life than I have at this very moment.  The struggles, pain, sadness, frustration, effort and sacrifices made and experienced over the past 3 years have been worth the peace, calm, contentment and happiness I feel now.  We still have challenges, hectic schedules and problems to fix, but they are manageable now.  I feel blessed and I feel thankful. 

So, now what?  I haven’t kept up on my blog because I am not sure what direction I want to take it.  I do not want to turn it into something I always feel behind on (like laundry or dishes) or a “have to”.  I don’t need to earn money with it, or drive people to my site for fame.  I’m not sure if anyone cares what happens in our house day to day, or what our house looks like each holiday.  I want to record our family memories, but am not sure if this is the way I want to continue to do so.  So please be patient with me while I am in my “wishy washy” frame of mind.  I have been told numerous times by various people, “You should write a book!”  Maybe one of these years I actually will.  I’m thinking biography,  historical fiction or self-help, maybe all three!

IN THE MEANTIME:

I have been neglecting this blog because we have been in “birthday mode”.  In addition to vacations, a baptism, holidays, football season and regular life, we have had

BIRTHDAY…

IMG_2598

AFTER BIRTHDAY…

IMG_3059

AFTER BIRTHDAY…

IMG_3119

AFTER BIRTHDAY…

IMG_3292

AFTER BIRTHDAY…

IMG_3415

…And there’s one more birthday in 14 days!   We also have an upcoming family wedding, and another getaway to Florida before Christmas!  We are busy creating memories, which is why I don’t have time to blog all of them!

2 comments:

Erika Schwitzer said...

Hey Kari! I check up on your blog every once in a while and saw this post. Keep blogging because you are keeping your families history! You can print out your blog each year. I print out our blog each year and my kids love to look through them. Our blog is a private blog and no one really reads my blog but, I do it for my family.

Kind of a random post from a random person but, just a thought!! Hope things are going well!
Erika Schwitzer

Sarah said...

You're a fantastic blogger, Kari. I love checking in on you, and I'm always amazed with the grace and poise you seem to carry amidst raising six kids and having so many challenges come your way.
Keep the posts a comin'!