Friday, December 7, 2012

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas–Home Tour 2012

Justin and I have asked ourselves many times recently, “Where did this year go?”  This time last year was a nightmare.  We moved 5 days after Christmas, Matti got pneumonia on our moving day, and life was too hectic to enjoy any part of the Holiday.  I felt disorganized, stressed out and like I was just going through the motions.

This year has been quite the opposite.  Since we left for a mini-vacation to Orlando on December 10th, I decided to get everything done before we left.  Gifts were purchased and wrapped, Christmas cards were done and mailed out, and the house was decorated.  We have gotten to enjoy the holiday season this year with many movie nights, sipping hot chocolate and driving around looking at Christmas lights at an unhurried pace while staying away from the “hustle and bustle” and crowds!

IMG_3545

We started a few new traditions.  This year “Skippy” the Elf  joined our family.  He has been a huge hit this year.  Wyatt was thrilled when he wrote Skippy a letter and Skippy replied and left him a penny to put in his pocket to remind him to be good at school.  Matti is the first one to wake up and find him each morning.  I love hearing their giggles and seeing their smiling faces when they find him.  They tell me where he is and what he’s done (as if I don’t already know).

IMG_3535

And we’ve kept some of our old traditions.  We decorated Gingerbread houses, snuggled up together and watched our favorite Christmas flicks.

IMG_3536

A new 12’ tree was “needed” this year.  Our little 6’ tree would have looked out of place with our 18’+ ceilings.   This picture doesn’t do it justice.   There are ornaments from 3 or 4 different styles of trees from Christmas past all blended together because I simply did not have enough to fill this tree!   I didn’t realize how many ornaments a tall tree needed, especially large, oversized ones!  I ended up using some old snowflake ornaments I purchased from the Dollar Store that I used to decorate a church Christmas party a few years ago.  They were perfect!  

IMG_3507

I learned how to make a “vein of ribbon” from my one of my best friends.  I used to make bows or wrap ribbon in circles around the tree and never really loved it that way.  She  taught me to put 3 different sizes together and tuck it in the tree at an angle.  I love it!

IMG_3508

We finally have a new table that seats 10 to feed our large family comfortably.  No more squishing 3 fighting, growing kids onto a tiny bench to fit everyone! 

IMG_3515

I got a few new decorations to add to what we already had.  This one was a necessary reminder.  I’ve only had to say it one or two times…

IMG_3521

Our 15 year old little Wal Mart tree found a home in the bonus room over the garage where the kids and their friends hang out.  It is now their tree to decorate.  I’ve even resisted the urge to rearrange the ornaments after they’ve gone to bed!   This is where all the home-made and school-made ornaments go.  This year we started the ornament tradition where they get to pick out one ornament that represents them or something they like.   When they leave home they get to take all their ornaments with them, but they don’t know I get to keep all the ones they’ve made!

 

IMG_3807IMG_3809IMG_3808

Matti has the “decorating gene” in her blood.  She made this paper chain for the piano room and has adorned her bedroom with all the ornaments, “poke art”, pictures and “stained glass” she made at school. 

IMG_3565IMG_3801IMG_3803

I can’t wait to celebrate Christmas with my family tonight.  I am looking forward to playing games, hanging out in my pajamas, tracking Santa and staying in my cozy home!  What are you going to do?

IMG_3798

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Merry Christmas to you! I'm so glad this year has been a better year for your family. You all deserve it. Have fun in the morning. You guys are sure blessed. Love you all.