Monday, October 24, 2011

Which Witch is Which?

Fall Break.  What a great time to go on a witch scavenger hunt.  At one of our favorite places, Gardner Village, we searched for a variety of witches including a witch landing her broom backwards, a witch with an “eye” phone, a witch fishing with dynamite and more.   I think there were around 15 in all to find.  We topped off the day with a trip to the old-fashioned candy store and a cookie from the bakery. 

IMG_1520

Visiting Gardner Village this time of year has been a tradition since we moved back to Salt Lake from Logan when Cam was just a toddler.  He used to love it.  Unfortunately, he was bored out of his mind this year and totally disinterested.  When I asked him, “Which witch was your favorite?” he replied, “I don’t care”.  He wasn’t being rude, he really just did not care.  Here we go teenage years.  What do you do with your kids when they outgrow traditions?  Do you change them (the traditions, not the kids)?  But what about the younger kids who still like to do them?  Do you make the older kids participate anyway or do you just let them stay home and hang out with friends?  I’m beginning to cross that bridge of autonomy and letting go with my tween and I’m not sure how to deal with it yet! 

2 comments:

Krysta said...

Geez, I dont know! It is a scary thought for sure. I haven't thought about that one. I think traditions are so important. Even though he is starting to outgrow them, he will look back on them and enjoy the memories. I think you have to hang on to them as long as you can, but eventually the traditions will change a little to suit your growing family.

You are so good to get your kids out and do things with them! I wish we had real pumpkin patches here. It is on our list for this weekend.

Anonymous said...

I would have him still be involved. but maybe pick a new tradition to start that he would enjoy and can be in charge of making sure it's appropriate and fun for all.