Tuesday, August 28, 2012

First Day of School 2012

Whew!  It feels good to be back on a regular schedule.  It feels good to be able to go to my dr. appointments and errands without stressing to be back in 2 hours time when the round trip itself takes an hour.   The preschool/Kindergarten schedule is hard enough to keep up for a year or two, and after 3 years, I had it!  The special ed preschool schedule was 23 minutes different from the Kindergarten schedule, which was different from the regular full-day school schedule.  And then early day and minimal day had to pop in and change everything again!  With 6 kids, I had 9 different schedules and times to keep up with for delivery and pick-up!  My day was segmented to the point that I never had enough time to complete an entire task at hand and I was always running!  I am happy to say that after 5 days of school, my laundry is caught up, the pantry is stocked and I’m ready to have time to tackle projects and hobbies that I have put off for the last couple of years.  In the meantime, here is how the first week of school went: 

IMG_2452

Matti…was thrilled that she got the “magic trash” on the first day of school.   The teacher watches one piece of trash and whoever picks it up gets a treat.  She also got to be the Student of the Week because the was the first one to turn in her poster.  The student of the week gets to “butt” everyone in line and be first the entire week.  She thought that was very cool!  She also forgot her home lunch in the classroom and didn’t tell her teacher, and didn’t know she could get school lunch so she went the entire day without eating!  I told her next time just to ask her teacher if she could run back to class to grab it.  Poor thing! 

IMG_2415

Britney…was lucky enough to find her best friend on her class list!  They got to choose their seats and are sitting next to one another.  Brit loves her teacher.  Her teacher earned brownie points with Brit when they had to bring a bag of 5 things that represent them and her teacher told the class if they are too shy to share, she will share their bag for them.  Score!  Brit is so shy that she has been known not to turn in book reports that she worked really hard on because it was a requirement to stand in front of the class and share. 

IMG_2425

Brooklyn…has her first male teacher.  She thought it was gross that every time he lifted his arm he had sweat marks.  Funny what kids report on when I ask them about their day.  She is excited to pursue ballroom dancing.  5th graders have to recruit their own boy if they want to be accepted onto the team.  Brooklyn already had her recruit lined up before the end of school last year!  Where there’s a will there’s a way!

IMG_2433

Wyatt…is immersed in a classroom full of penguins!  He and his teacher have something in common:  they both like birds!  We’re off to a good start! 

IMG_2436

**Cameron started Junior High this year.  He would not let me take a picture of him on the first day of school, but I’ll get him! 

I have started making protein-rich healthy breakfasts for the kids every morning.  Here they are enjoying their new favorite:  a protein-rich strawberry banana smoothie.  I think I’m going to sneak some spinach into their next one!   

 IMG_2447IMG_2450

It’s amazing how the fruits and veggies disappear for after school snacks when they are simply cut, peeled prepared and set out.  I am continuing on Grandma Carmen’s tradition of peeling apples.  All the grandkids love her peeled apples and zucchini bread (hint, hint). 

And they’re off to a great 2012-2013 school year!  I love them!

IMG_2466

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Adorable kids. We drink lots of smoothies around her. I am known to sneak lots of things in to them. Spinach, avocodo, carrots. It is a great way to get good things in their belly. I love the matching back packs. It must be hard to keep up with that many schedules.

Henich Family said...

You are such a great mom! I love everything you do and the reports on all the kiddos. Can't wait for the U game!

Tiffiny said...

I always put baby spinach in the smoothies. They don't mind it because it's tasteless.
It's fun to see the pictures of them headed off to school. It reminds me of us! Especially because I can see so much of you in your girls! What cutie pies. All of them!

Sarah said...

You are amazing, Kari. Kids all immaculate AND holding grade-specific, first-day signs?!
So awesome.