Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Where In the World Have We Been?

Here’s part of the explanation why I have been MIA with this blog!  When Justin and I got married, we put vacationing with our family and each other at the top of our priority list.  Since our kids are a little older, we have spoiled ourselves with exceeding our goal of getting away with each other at least once a year.  We decided to take a break from cruising to try a land locked vacation to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. 

IMG_4793

Our vacation started out with a snorkeling tour at the arch.  The water was cold!  But the benefit to cold water was that we got to see a lot of whales and their babies during whale migration season.   Our snorkeling tour turned into a whale-watching excursion as well!

IMG_4410IMG_4407IMG_4476

Our vacations never consist of spending all day lounging on the beach sipping Pina Coladas.  They are full of high adventure, which leads us to our next excursion of racing through the desert searching out hidden villages, driving over dry river beds and discovering scenic ocean views via side-by-side vehicles.  Let’s just say I wish I would have worn a sports bra, or two. 

IMG_4607IMG_4629IMG_4640

Next, we caught a rare glimpse of the sunrise!  Rare for us because we like to sleep in!  We woke up at 4:45 am to drive to downtown Cabo to fulfill one of Justin’s dreams of deep sea fishing.  This was not one of my dreams.  I went along on this 8 hour trip simply to be a good wife and companion to my husband.  The ocean was extremely choppy, which made me seasick for the very first time in my life.  It lasted for hours on end and I was miserable! 

IMG_4696

At least someone was having fun!  Justin caught 3 yellow-fin tuna, but he was left unsatisfied because he didn’t catch a Marlin, especially when the boat next to us caught 2!   He is already talking about going back to catch one.  I will not be joining him. The best part of the deep-sea fishing excursion for me was coming back to land.  We were followed by “Poncho” a sea lion that swam up to the back of the boat and happily devoured our unused bait. 

IMG_4738IMG_4720IMG_4764

No relaxing or resting for us!  Our journey the next day continued with a bus tour up North where we went snorkeling with whale sharks.  I hadn’t recovered fully from deep sea fishing when we were once again on a small boat in choppy, cold water.  I jumped in once, but decided to wimp out and stay on the boat.  Justin and I have a little bit of a vacation curse.  We seek out warm destinations, plan our trip months ahead of time, and usually end up with a drop in temperature for the week we arrive at our “warm” destinations.  You would think that 72 degrees sounds warm compared to our frigid winter temps in Utah, but a humid 72 on a cloudy, windy day is not warm.  I needed my coat!  The wetsuits did not keep us warm!   Luckily, a wonderful meal at a local authentic restaurant saved the day. 

IMG_4770IMG_4781

My favorite part of our vacation was the endless supply of fabulous meals and entertainment we came home to each night.  We loved our time here so much that we are planning on bringing the entire family next year!

IMG_4578IMG_4652

1 comment:

erica said...

Glad you had a great vacation! Brandon and I went there for our honeymoon. Your kids will be excited to go I'm sure.