Saturday, July 23, 2011

Day 170– “Fandom”

Justin puts on a “Tapout” t-shirt, and I know we will be spending the evening with friends watching the UFC fights.  When it comes to watching sporting events, I always know what team and sport we’ll be watching before the event has even started.  All I have to do is look at what my husband is wearing and I know who we will watching and rooting for, what teams are playing and where we will be going.  In fact, it has a name.  It’s called, “fandom”.  My husband has it, and it knows no bounds.  He couldn’t even attend our first Real Salt Lake game without his “fandom” (dressing as a fan of the team he is rooting for), which usually includes a jersey and a hat.  Dressing in normal street clothes is a “no, no” and Justin wouldn’t be caught dead in anything other than his sports attire at a sporting event.

IMG_1123 

The worst “fandom” experience ever was when he made me wear a Rams jersey to an Oakland Raiders game last year.  In a sea of black and white, there we were, wearing blue and gold.  I’m surprised we made it out of there alive.  If there was one game to wear street clothes or silently cheer for your team, that would have been it.  I couldn’t get to the hotel fast enough to change into clothes that wouldn’t get me shot, beaten or verbally abused. 

1 comment:

Krysta said...

Ahhhh...that is scary! The Oakland Raider fans are not nice. Growing up in California I know this!

He wouldn't be Justin without his love and enthusiasm for sprots.