Friday, September 23, 2011

Parenting 101

I am learning it’s just as important to learn what not to do as it is to learn what to do.  Today, I learned not to leave the trampoline too close to the deck, or play set, or anything at all.  The landscaper that takes care of our lawn moves the tramp around the yard to keep the lawn healthier.  Today while I decided to sit down at my desk to catch up on some computer time,  Matti closed the blinds so I could not see outside.  She kept running in from outside saying, “Mom, you’re still there?”  I knew she was trying to hide something, so I opened the blinds and caught her climbing on the deck railing ready to jump over the safety net onto the trampoline.  I asked, “Matti, have you been jumping off the deck onto the tramp?”  She of course blamed her older sister saying that it was “Brooklyn’s idea yesterday.  She double-dog dared me”.  I can expect this from an 11 year old, but a 5 year old?  She’s fearless, to say the least.  

IMG_1298

It brought back vivid memories of jumping off the roof of our childhood house using a garbage bag as a parachute.  (It didn’t work very well, but there were no broken bones) or my big brother, Casey,  lowering our nephew  from the roof of our house tied to a rope.  (Mom was shocked to look out the window and see her toddler grandson dangling in front of the window).  It’s so hard to get mad at because we did the same stuff when we were kids.  I just have to laugh and be thankful that I caught it before anyone got hurt.  Not in the mood for an emergency room visit.   

1 comment:

Tiffiny said...

I forgot about Casey doing that! LOL. Now I'm feeling very nostalgic and totally missing 9th East! I always get home sick for Utah toward the end of September and all through the fall season.