Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Back to School 2011

This morning couldn’t have gone any smoother.  The kids woke themselves up, showered, got dressed, combed their hair, fed themselves breakfast and were ready for school on time with beds made and rooms straightened.  Was I dreaming?  Part of our success was because clothes and backpacks were set out the night before (and we did supervise to keep things moving).  Even though the girls’ blow drying their hair was Wyatt’s alarm clock (we heard him tell the girls they were being too loud), there were no complaints, no fighting, no tardiness.  

IMG_1239

Since we had a good morning, I wondered if the day continued to be as good for the kids as it was for me (haha).  Everyone had someone to sit by at lunch.  Good.  Everyone came home hungry and happy.  Good.  During their after school snack, I asked the kids what their favorite part of the day was and they all had something they liked about the day.  Good.  Here’s what they said:

Wyatt:  “Recess”  (I expected this to be Cam’s answer since this has been his favorite thing about school since Kindergarten)

Brooklyn:  “All the art we made” 

Brit:  “Everything” 

Cam:  “Getting to know everyone”  (Cam has always been really good at making friends.  It truly is a talent of his.  This year all of his friends are in other classes, so I am happy to hear that he met some new people)

As Justin yelled “goodbye” to Cam, we got a “nod”.  Surprisingly, it was watching Cam head into 6th grade that brought tears to my eyes today.  What a great start to the school year!  It’s gonna be a good one! 

1 comment:

Krysta said...

I'm so glad it went smoothly! Hopefully it will keep going that way, right? I felt the same way about Kaylee. Sad.